- Discuss dinner options with spouse.
- Decide together that it's been one heck of a week and determine closest and fastest available food.
- Drive 3 miles to Wegman's and walk to the "Wokery"
- Fill plastic containers with copious amounts of Lemon Pepper Chicken, Shrimp, Green Beans, and Edamame.
- Go home and eat while watching a movie.
I did actually try out a new dessert recipe tonight. I've been on a bit of a "lighten up fattening recipes" kick lately. As I've mentioned in several posts, I've been watching this show called Zonya's Health Bites and she does a lot of low fat and low calorie recipes. I really enjoyed the Banana and Zucchini Breads that I tried last weekend. I thought I'd give her Blueberry Buckle recipe a go.
~This literally takes 5 minutes to put together before you bake it~
- 2 pints fresh blueberry or 2 (12 oz) packages frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or 1/2 cup all purpose and a 1/2 cup whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp lemon, orange, or almond extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Vanilla ice cream (if desired)
- Spray a 9'' x 13'' baking pan with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- If you are using frozen berries, allow to thaw a bit. Spread fresh or frozen berries in the bottom of baking pan (check over for stems). Sprinkle 3 tbsp sugar evenly over berries.
- Combine orange juice, flour, sugar, baking powder, egg whites, and extract in a bowl. Spoon 12 even portions over berries (in 3 rows of 4).
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar on top of the dough mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake is lightly browned.
- Serve warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream (if desired).
Have a great weekend!