6.03.2009

Food for Friends

On Saturday, we had a dinner party with some of our close friends. We all headed over to one couple's house and each helped to contribute to the meal. One person brought a delicious salad that had all sorts of goodness in it (such as little balls of mozzarella). Another person brought a pasta salad that was also fabulous. I brought dessert (I whipped up a Lemon Yogurt Cake) and a pre and post dinner munchie. The hosting couple grilled up some completely mouthwatering chicken and made a wonderful munchie as well.

When I was getting ready to make my various items...I searched my blog for my Toffee Dip recipe. Lo and behold, I found that I hadn't posted it yet. I don't know how this is possible because it's the easiest and most delicious thing ever. And virtually everyone that has ever eaten it thinks that it's addicting.

I got this recipe from my husband's cousin's wife (did ya get that?) after having it at a family get-together. We were all huddled around it like ravenous animals, trying to find more and more things to dip in it once the apples and pretzels were gone. We may or may not have taken left-over chicken nuggets from the kids' table and dipped them...we were desperate...we just had to keep eating the dip. If I had been thinking clearly on Saturday, I would have taken a picture before we all devoured it.

Toffee Dip
~Beware of its over the top sweet awesomeness~
  • 1 block cream cheese ( sometimes I use the 1/3 reduced fat kind)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3/4 cup toffee bits (in the choc. chip section)
  1. Mix 1st four ingredients (I use my kitchen aid mixer)
  2. Then add toffee bits
  3. Refrigerate a few hours (overnight works well, too- the toffee kind of melts into it)
  4. Over-eat with Granny Smith apples and pretzel rods at all occasions!
The munchie that the hostess put out was also addicting. It's the perfect savory/salty appetizer and she said it was easy to make. I believe she got the recipe from a friend, so I'm not really sure of the original source.


Buffalo Chicken Dip
~We ate this continuously all evening~
  • 2 blocks of cream cheese
  • 1 cup of ranch dressing (Hidden Valley or Krafts)
  • 3-5 oz of Frank's Hot Sauce (I'm told it must be Frank's)
  • 1 large can or 2-3 small cans of canned chicken drained (Swanson - it looks like tuna)
  • Cheddar Cheese - optional (someone at our BBQ told me they add it so I'll try it next time)
  1. Melt cream cheese in pot on stove stirring constantly over med heat.
  2. Then stir in Ranch and Frank's. Then stir in chicken.
  3. Mix and pour into serving dish. Serve with cracker sticks*, carrots and celery. I think it's enjoyed best when kept over a heating plate or something that keeps it warm.
*The hostess served it with "Chicken in a Biscuit" crackers and tortilla chips. It was great!


I love seeing my friends. I love food. Combining friends and food makes for a perfect evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment