4.29.2009

Summer Lovin'

The 90 degree weather earlier this week has caused me to pretend it's actually summer time. Therefore, I am in grilling mode. It was quite chilly this evening...but I was out there grillin' anyway.

Because I love my grill.

I love it with my whole heart.

I love it so much I took its picture:

Isn't it beautiful?

Grilling is fast. You can make delicious food when you do it right. And it fascinates me...like when the oil from the food drips down into the grill and a big flame comes up. It excites me every time.

You can obviously do all sorts of fancy shmancy stuff on the grill...I don't really know how to do that yet since I have only grilled since last summer. However, I thought I would share a simple grilled meal with you.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Pepper Kabobs
  • 2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 3 peppers (I used a red one, a yellow one, and an orange one)
  • Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (I use the one sold by Pampered Chef)*
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Skewers (I use metal ones, but you can buy wooden ones that you need to soak in water ahead of time)
  1. Begin preheating the grill.
  2. Fill as many skewers as necessary with peppers. Then fill as many skewers as necessary with chicken. I skewer them separately in case one is done before the other, but I've also skewered them together before with good results.
  3. Drizzle olive oil over the peppers and chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle Jamaican Jerk seasoning on the chicken (I'm pretty generous with it).
  4. Place skewers on the grill and turn every few minutes until the peppers are a bit blackened and the chicken is cooked through (10-15 minutes)
  5. I made Spanish Rice (one of Lipton's "Fiesta Sides") to go on the side. I let the rice cook while the chicken and peppers were cooking.
  6. Remove the peppers and chicken from the skewers and plate them up with some rice.
*You can really use whatever seasoning you want. I've used Mrs. Dash seasonings...I've also used Moroccan, Greek, and Italian seasonings on grilled chicken, too. Yum.

1 comment: