1.23.2011

Sweet Treat

I have the bad habit of needing something sweet after dinner. I know that many people have this habit, so I won't be too hard on myself. Sometimes I'm able to do fruit or yogurt, but that's mostly in the summer when berries are in season. Winter fruits just don't cut it for me when it comes to a sweet treat at night.

The January/February issue of Food Network Magazine has some ideas for lighter desserts and I found one of them to be particularly delicious. As far as cookies go, this recipe is quite figure friendly. I've made them a couple of times and found them to be a wonderful light dessert. I'll eat two cookies with a small glass of milk (actually, a small glass of Lactaid because I have...shall we say...trust issues with dairy).

Word to the Wise: Just because it's labeled as "light" doesn't mean you can eat a dozen at a time. I find that people (sometimes I'm included in this group) tend to think that if something is less calories, they can eat double or triple the serving size without consequences. Not so, my friends...eating sensible portions is a habit we should stick to no matter what we're eating.

So after that uplifting message...here's the recipe!

Oatmeal Cookies
~Easy and Delicious~



  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg and 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • (I actually combine chocolate chips and raisins to equal a cup and leave the walnuts out...you pretty much can put a cup of whatever combination of goodies you'd like to substitute)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Whisk brown sugar, egg, and egg whites in a bowl.
  3. Whisk in the vegetable oil.
  4. Stir in the oats, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt.
  5. Add chocolate chips, raisins, nuts (or a cup of whatever combination you want)
  6. Drop large spoonfuls onto lined baking sheets and gently flatten. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. hey ali - how many cookies is this recipe supposed to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete