So I once again turned to Cooking Light for an idea. I knew I had four chicken breasts in my fridge at home and didn't want to spend a bunch on groceries. I found the following recipe, tweaked a few things, and it turned out to be a quick, easy, and yummy meal!
~ This savory-sweet dish has surprising, but delicious, flavors~
- Olive oil
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I increased this to a full tsp)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion (I used a Spanish onion)
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (2 apples)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas (I used 4 larger burrito sized tortillas)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (I added this to each taco)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add chicken to pan, saute 7 minutes or until golden. Remove chicken from pan, keep warm.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add apple, cook 6 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add garlic, saute 30 seconds. Return chicken to the pan and cook 2 minutes until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave under a damp paper towel. Put 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- I served up some rice along side, but it was definitely filling enough without it.
I'll be honest...I thought this was going to be a Friday Night Failure. I just wasn't sure the flavors were going to mesh well. But it tasted great and we had yet another successful Friday Night Feast!