5.15.2009

Friday Night Feast IV

After staying up late to watch both Lost and Grey's Anatomy this week, I was feeling quite tired today. I figured I would skip the special Friday Night Feast business and we'd eat out. But I needed to stop at the store anyway because I'm bringing a few things to my brother-in-law's graduation party tomorrow. I figured I might as well pick up some stuff for dinner while I was at it, since going out to eat would probably take more energy than cooking up a quick meal.

So I once again turned to Cooking Light for an idea. I knew I had four chicken breasts in my fridge at home and didn't want to spend a bunch on groceries. I found the following recipe, tweaked a few things, and it turned out to be a quick, easy, and yummy meal!


Chicken Soft Tacos with Sauteed Onions and Apples
~ This savory-sweet dish has surprising, but delicious, flavors~


  • Olive oil
  • 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I increased this to a full tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 cups thinly sliced onion (I used a Spanish onion)
  • 2 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (2 apples)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas (I used 4 larger burrito sized tortillas)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese (I added this to each taco)
  1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add chicken to pan, saute 7 minutes or until golden. Remove chicken from pan, keep warm.
  2. Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
  3. Add apple, cook 6 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add garlic, saute 30 seconds. Return chicken to the pan and cook 2 minutes until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
  4. Heat tortillas in the microwave under a damp paper towel. Put 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
  5. I served up some rice along side, but it was definitely filling enough without it.
Recipe from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2004

I'll be honest...I thought this was going to be a Friday Night Failure. I just wasn't sure the flavors were going to mesh well. But it tasted great and we had yet another successful Friday Night Feast!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm...this looks good! I will definitely have to try this one out as I am usually not feeling like cooking these days w/2 little rugrats, lol. I am just so tired by the end of the night!? I am also trying to use the crock pot more as well...so nice to have a meal ready by the evening when I have no energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! I don't even have kids yet and feel tired out at the end of the day, haha. I'm always on the hunt for quick recipes or things I can make ahead when I have more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Cooking Light recipes also. This looks like one that my husband would enjoy. I think it is a great idea how you often try new recipes. It encourages me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete