3.14.2009

Not just for St. Patrick's Day

My Dad's side of the family has some Irish in there. Sonny has Irish on both sides of his family. So I like to make Irish sorts of things around this time of year. Last year I made Humble Shepherd's Pie for dinner. I also made Irish Soda Bread. I loved the Irish Soda Bread so much that it made me think...

Could I perhaps make this at other times of the year? Can Irish Soda Bread be enjoyed not just for St. Patrick's Day, but all year round? Of course it can! I make this bread regularly.

This recipe is easy and so delicious. It makes 2 loaves, so you can freeze one...or give it away...or eat both like I do.

This bread is very versatile. I've served it as an appetizer at my book club. I've served it alongside dinner. I've eaten it for dessert or brought it to work for a snack. It has a unique flavor and a touch of sweetness without being too sweet. I just made two loaves today and am kicking myself because I forgot to take a picture!

Irish Soda Bread
~I learned this recipe at The Kitchen Workshop~
  • 4 cups bread flour (I keep bread flour on hand, but you can use regular flour, too)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 sugar
  • 1 cup raisins or currants, rinsed in hot water and patted dry
  • 1 tbsp caraway seeds
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
  2. Stir in raisins/currants and caraway seeds. Add the buttermilk and stir the mixture until it forms a dough (I do this in my Kitchen Aid mixer with the paddle attachment)
  3. Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead for 1 minutes (I attach the dough hook to my mixer instead...much less mess).
  4. Halve the dough and with floured hands, shape each half into a round loaf. Transfer loaves to a lightly greased baking sheet (or one with a Silpat on it). Cut an X about 1/4 inch deep across the top of each loaf. Beat an egg with a splash of water or milk in a small bowl. Brush the top of each loaf lightly with the egg mixture (this will make it brown nicely)
  5. Bake in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes (or until tester comes out clean). Transfer loaves to a rack and let them cool.
  6. Serve warm or room temperature with butter. It can also be toasted...yum.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment