2.08.2009

A New Circular to Stalk

I was out to lunch with a few of my friends on Saturday and I mentioned that I was going to run some errands and swing by Acme when I left. I was quite happy with a sale they were having on chicken and was going to get a whole bunch and freeze it.

My one friend mentioned that Genuardi's was having a great sale on chicken. This surprised me because Genuardi's is known for being one of the most expensive grocery stores in our area. I decided to check out their circular (which I never even bother to do because I figure their products are out of my price range) and I was shocked at the sales they are having this week! I have a Genuardi's just a few minutes from my house and it happens to be right next door to a Giant. I went to Genuardi's for their awesome sales and then got the rest of my groceries at Giant.

This week Genuardi's has boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.68 a pound. Acme also has chicken on sale...buy one, get one free (but they are charging more per pound) Acme also does these sales where you get 4 items for $19.99...you can mix and match different meats. I ended up buying 4 two pound packages (about 4 chicken breasts) at Acme and then getting some more chicken at Genuardi's. I use chicken often and always stock up when the prices are low. I won't have to buy chicken for a month now!

Genuardi's also has a whole list of items that are just $1. I got a few packages of cream cheese for a dollar each because I use them in a few appetizer recipes I make...and they are good until July! I also got a few packages of sliced mushrooms for a dollar each because I use them for soup. My favorite item from the $1 section was a 4 pound Shadybrook Farm turkey breast I got for $4 ($1 a pound). Awesome.

Other fun items on sale at Genuardi's. Grapes for $.89 a pound. Pork tenderloins for $2.99 a pound.

Lesson for the day: Even expensive stores can have great sales...check the circulars!!

I'll lay out my plan and recipes for this week in another post. But, just for fun, I'll leave you with a very simple appetizer recipe that my friend, Robyn, gave me. You can use your $1 cream cheese from Genuardi's.

Salsa Dip*
~This is so easy and very tasty~

16 oz. cream cheese (2 packages)
1 or 2 packages of taco seasoning
1 jar salsa
a couple handfuls of lettuce, shredded or torn
2 cups taco or mexican blend cheese
tortilla chips for dipping
  1. Let cream cheese soften a bit on the counter or microwave for just a few seconds.
  2. Use a mixer to combine cream cheese with 1 packet of taco seasoning. I taste it to see if it needs more. I usually use a pack and a half.
  3. Spread cream cheese mixture at the bottom of serving dish. Top with salsa, then lettuce, then cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.
*This is great to bring to a party because you can make it ahead and it doesn't have to be heated.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ali! For one thing I cook so infrequently that I'm not very familiar with a good chicken price. For another thing now I can go get some and force myself to cook haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alison! I left a comment on my blog as well, but figured I'd message you here too, in case the other comment doesn't get to you. You definitely need at least ONE can of (condensed - the small can) CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP, if not 2. Adding any additional mushrooms are your call - and they can either be canned or fresh. Sorry it took so long to reply!

    ReplyDelete